What is an energy performance certificate?

If you are selling or renting your property, you will need to obtain an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC). These can be obtained through Griffin.

An EPC is a legally required document that reports on the energy efficiency of the property which you are selling or renting. You are legally required to order an EPC before your market your property and the EPC must be made available to potential purchasers at the earliest opportunity. Failure to comply with EPC legislation could result in a fine of up to £200.

The energy inspection will be carried out by a domestic energy assessor (DEA) who will consider elements such as insulation, glazing materials, solar panels, cavity wall insulation, the size of the property, construction materials and heating systems. EPC’s carry ratings that compare your current rating with a potential rating of how you can save energy if certain measures were put in place.

The ratings are measured from ‘A-G’, with ‘A’ being the most efficient and G being the lowest. The average grade to date is band ‘D’. All homes are measured with the same calculations.

When you receive your EPC graph you will also receive a recommendation report which will advise you on various improvements you could make to lower your carbon dioxide emissions’ and improve your energy rating, also hope this could be cost effective to the consumer.

If a property has a favourable energy rating this can be used as an additional marketing tool in the process of selling your property as it will be cost effective to the purchaser/tenant. Even if you are not actively in the process of selling your home, an EPC will provide valuable information and will help you take action to minimise running costs.

For further information on Energy Performance Certificates or to find out how you can obtain your , please call us now on 01375 397872 or email liam.wingfield@griffin-grays.co.uk

Save search for email alerts?